08 April 2012

Easter Science


Natural Dye Easter Eggs


On Easter morning, I threw together some jars of natural dyes for hard-boiled eggs. If I'd planned ahead, I would have done it the night before and stocked up on some white eggs, instead of brown. I used cranberry juice, purple cabbage, and turmeric. I got ideas from here and here.

Next time, I think I need to scrub off the eggs before dyeing though, since the dye seems very prone to rubbing off. I think the colours would have come out much better on white eggs. The dark ones are actually a forest green sort of colour, but would probably be a bright blue on white eggs.

This was so much fun that I may have to do more kitchen science experiments before next year.

Photographs and artwork by Allison Gryski. © All rights reserved.

2 comments:

scjody said... Best Blogger Tips

These are great! I can't wait to see next year's version!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi. Your eggs look great! :)
I know I'm a bit late but just wanted to say that another great way of dyeing eggs the natural way is using the dry skins of brown or purple onions. The best result is achieved by soaking the skins and eggs in a pot of water overnight and then boiling them in it the next day. The dye works best on brown eggs, you'll get a darker colour. The dye will not rub off either. You could even put a nice leaf on the egg and tie it all tightly in a nylon stocking so the area where the leaf was will stay pale after boiling. We do it every year and it's all natural!