24 March 2009

Burst, a new word, and cupcakes


Burst
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


I finished my work entitled "Burst" this weekend. It's bubbles bursting into sunbursts. It's mostly pencil crayon and water colour paint. There's all sorts of sparkly glitter, but most of it didn't actually show up in the picture. I had a lot of fun with this piece, though it was nerve-wracking to cut into the large bubbles that I drew/painted since I'm terrible for being afraid of "ruining" something I'm working on. It's good for me to push myself outside my comfort zone though and I'm pretty happy with the result. (see the wordplay copycat pool for everyone's pics).


Burst
Originally uploaded by allisongryski

Even though I think perhaps my friends were less into this than me, I am going to announce a new word, since it's a good way to motivate ME to try something new. So, a new word. When this idea first occurred to me, I made up a little list of words that I thought would make interesting themes, and the next one on that list is ... shadow. I think 2 months was enough time to both let the ideas percolate and fit in a little procrastination without getting stalled, so I'm going to aim to be done for the end of May. Play along if it pleases you.


Burst
Originally uploaded by allisongryski

Artsy-fartsy or not, my gal pals are definitely into cupcakes. My real deadline for finishing my Burst piece was actually Sunday, not the end of the month, since we had a cupcake baking party. Cupcakes were made and mostly eaten up right away (with a few to take home for lucky sweeties). We had a surprise visitor from Portland. My kitchen was turned into a disaster area and then cleaned up. Songs were sung in the kitchen, icing was eaten out of the bowl, sugar highs were had. It was excellent fun. I highly recommend filling your kitchen with cheerful friends baking yummy things.


pretty cupcake papers
Originally uploaded by allisongryski

2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Those cupcakes papers are so pretty! Does the batter stick to them like crazy? Or are they awesomely removable?

PS. Love your burst idea! It's way creative.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I know I didn't spend much time on my 'burst' project, but I had fun playing along. I'll be contemplating 'shadow'.