26 August 2009

Thrifty souvenirs of summer


1930s quilt
Originally uploaded by allisongryski

One of my family's beloved activities is searching garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets, and antique fairs for treasures. This summer, we had an absolute bonanza of it, and I came home with some gorgeous bargains. The main event was the Odessa antique fair. It's a huge collection of booths and tents out in a field with everything from furniture to figurines. I have no pictures as I was far too busy searching the hundreds of stalls for something spectacular. But picture a grassy field absolutely stuffed with stalls. Odessa has often been brutally hot and sunny, but for a change, this year it was cool and grey. Just as I stepped inside the small building to finish the few indoor booths, it started pouring rain. But I wasn't too sorry, since I'd already found my Find early on.

This year, I came home with a beautiful, hand pieced and quilted quilt for just $60. Based on the fabric, we figure it's probably from the 1930s. In any case, having worked on a quilt with a machine, I can only have a sense of the huge amount of work that went into this:


1930s quilt
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


I saw another quilt, also at Odessa. It was larger, with a pinwheel pattern and some green blocks. I rather loved it too, but at the (fair) price of $335, it was outside the range of my allotted spending money. I'm still boggling that the vender could sell me the above quilt for only $60. I could barely say "I'll take it" fast enough, once he named his price. My mom and I waited until we were several stalls down to let our massive grins shine.

And the thrift stores were just as kind. First, this pretty vintage sheet, which will work well with lots of my quilt fabric leftovers.


vintage sheet
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


This hand-embroidered cloth has a couple holes in it, but for 75 cents, it deserves a second life.

hand-embroidered cloth
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


I think each quadrant could perhaps be used for a pillow or totebag. (Apologies for the creases, but this is straight off the laundry line.)


hand-embroidered cloth
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


And, last, but certainly not least... perhaps my most surprising thrifty find to date...


Fluevog boots
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


A pair of Fluevogs! Now, if I'm totally honest, they are a little snug on the toes, but for $2.50, I'm going to wear them and enjoy them... just maybe not for all-day excursions.

3 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

What a beautiful quilt! The pattern looks like it might be quarters of a Dresden Plate pattern, but I've never seen anything like it! What an amazing find!

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said... Best Blogger Tips

Your thrifted treasures are lovely, Allison.

Thanks so much for popping in to my blog ;)

Lisa

Beata said... Best Blogger Tips

Great loot!! ...the quilt is stunning!