20 March 2011

Sunday Scones


Scone


I made scones for breakfast today. Inspired by watching a Julia Child Crêpes Suzette recipe recently, I also made an orange-citrus butter for a special topping.


Orange Citrus Butter


I didn't follow a recipe at all for the butter, so most of this is just an approximation after the fact. I tasted it as I went, which is always the best way to make something yummy. Here's how I made it:

Orange-Citrus Butter
  • 1 blob of softened butter (I probably had about 1/4 c)
  • zest of 2 oranges (I used a microplane, so it's really fine)
  • few tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • about a Tbsp of granulated sugar, plus same or a bit more of icing sugar

Mix all together until it forms a uniform paste. Mine was quite soft, but since it was going on warm scones, I figured it would go all melty anyhow. I'd probably use all icing sugar another time to try to make it a bit less soupy.


Scones on Sunday


You can make the butter while the scones bake, so it's really not that much of an extra effort. It was oh-so-yummy and felt very indulgent.

You can find more of my recipes in the Food section, in the tabs along the top.

Photographs and artwork by Allison Gryski. © All rights reserved.

1 comments:

Blaise said... Best Blogger Tips

home made butter? must try.

I've been making a lot of savory scones of late, similar recipe. Take your basic scones, add some butter fried onions, ground mustard, cayenne pepper and about sharp cheddar cheese.

I was thinking of throwing some spicy french salami cubes into the next batch...