03 October 2009

My Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe


D reaching for a cookie
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


After much experimentation, I have developed the following recipe. These make the sort of chocolate chip cookies that my sweetie and I favour: slightly chewy, not too thin, lots of chocolate chips. Oh are these addictive! The recipe can be doubled and these cookies freeze well.

Allison's Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies


Cream together:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
Add:
1 egg
1-2 tsp tia maria (or vanilla extract)
Mix in:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Stir in:
1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)

Put tablespoon sized blobs on the baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. They're better once they've cooled a bit.

You don't need to smush them flat since they'll melt down in the oven. I love the sort of uneven lumpiness that results. I always cook mine for the full 10 minutes because if the middle is still too undercooked, the cookies will sink as they cool. I can't say as it was exactly "hard" for us to taste all the variations on this recipe when I was experimenting. The main thing I discovered is that if you add too much butter (the recipe I started with had 1/2 cup), then they'll go all flat. If that's what you prefer, by all means, add more butter. I always use tia maria (a coffee flavoured liqueur), but there's honestly probably not much difference if you use vanilla or whatever booze you have on hand for flavouring baking. Happy baking (and eating)!


Chocolate Chip Cookies
Originally uploaded by allisongryski

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooooh, those look delicious! I'll have to try this recipe! Last time I made chocolate chip cookies, they got very flat....now I know why! :) I like the idea of using tia maria, yum.