21 August 2011

Colour Swatches


Spring Cloud Palette


Ordering art and craft supplies online is convenient, but choosing colours can be very tricky. I thought I'd show you the difference between the online swatches and my own colour swatches for the spring cloud blanket. Obviously, part of the issue is that all monitors are slightly different, but I found the colours much more vibrant in real life. (I couldn't find nice swatches online for a few of the colours, so I used my photos in both palettes for those ones).


Spring Cloud Palette (Accurate Colours)


In fact, even my "accurate" photos still look paler than the yarn looks to my eye. And who knows what they'll look like on anyone else's monitor. But I thought it was interesting to compare and I know when I was picking out colours, it was nice to see various people's photos of the yarn to try to get a better idea. The blanket continues along stripe-ily. A long ways yet to go, but I've been averaging a stripe a day recently.

Edited to add: The yarn is Stylecraft Special DK and the colours I have are: Aspen 1422, Aster 1003, Bluebell 1082, Clematis 1390, Cloud Blue 1019, Fondant 1241, Lavender 1188, Magenta 1084, Meadow 1065, Pale Rose 1080, Sherbet 1034, Silver 1203, Spring Green 1316, Turquoise 1068, Violet 1277, Wisteria 1432.

Photographs and artwork by Allison Gryski. © All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Barbara Prime said... Best Blogger Tips

I've had the same problem myself, when ordering yarn. I chose some colours I considered bright, but which seemed to coordinate well. Turned out there were a lot darker, and one looked terrible with the others and I couldn't use it in the end. Sometimes it's worth ordering a colour swatch card, if you'll be ordering a lot of one yarn. But I haven't done that yet.

Allison said... Best Blogger Tips

@Barbara Prime The seller actually kindly included a swatch card free of charge with my order, which was really helpful when I added a few colours to the initial set that I'd ordered.