16 April 2008

When do you send cards?


Orange butterfly on bamboo
Originally uploaded by allisongryski

It's time for a new poll... and this one is all about when you usually send cards. The most common events that I send cards for are birthdays, Christmas/winter solstice, and thank you notes. I think the latter has rather gone out of fashion. It's particularly important for me since my family lives far away so my presents usually come by mail. A thank you note both acknowledges receipt and lets the givers know that I appreciated their thoughtfulness. I always have a stash of blank non-occasion-specific cards for sending thank you notes. I don't like the cards to be too big, since if I want to write a letter, I will do so on paper. This is one reason that I chose to make 4.25x5.5" cards. They're just right for a short little note to accompany your thanks, birthday greetings, or whatever.

Please take the poll in the sidebar and leave me a comment with any other occasions that you give cards (e.g. anniversary, valentine's day, other winter holiday, get well soon, just to say "thinking of you", etc).

4 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

In the poll, for occasions to send cards, besides all the ones listed, I also selected "other".

I like sending cards to friends as a boost if I know they're going through a difficult time or because I've been neglectful about staying in touch.

Sometimes a card is just 'too funny' not to send, as a laugh. Or too too charming to pass up!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I chose other because I only ever give cards for weddings.
I prefer to send online cards because it is more environmentally-friendly.

Robin said... Best Blogger Tips

I love to send cute little nonsense cards to my goddaughter because she is 11 and loves getting mail (who didn't love to get mail as a kid -- it's so "grown up"?). I also like to send cards to cheer friends up - it's nice as an adult to get something other than bills in the mail.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Sorry in advance if this is TMI: My father is terminally ill, and so for the past few years it's been *really* *really* hard to buy him a birthday card, because most commercial birthday cards are totally innapropriate for an elderly, dying person. So these days I end up buying blank cards - and even then it's hard to find nice ones that aren't in the 'cute puppy' or 'naked baby' category.

Also, I try hard to remember to send my friends birthday cards, but I'm chronically disorganised, so I like to try to keep a stock of generic Birthday cards that I can send to anyone, male or female, young or old...