30 July 2008

Quilt design decisions


quilt squares on the floor
Originally uploaded by allisongryski


After the amount of time it took to do the first quilt layout, I really wasn't sure that I wanted to do it all over again. But the sewing will be a much bigger enterprise, so I metaphorically rolled up my sleeves and did a different layout. It's still an overall random appearance since I have 38 different fabrics, but the blocks of 16 have different "themes". I did an "animals and fruit" one, several "stripes and geometrics", lots of blue variations, some pink squares, etc. Thankfully, it turned out to be much faster to lay out this way. I took lots of pictures and now I can compare them.


Artistically Random



Theme Blocks


I've made a poll in case any of you dear readers have a preference.

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Love both the layouts. They're beautiful. Love the muted color palette too. Before I actually looked at the two layouts I thought for sure I'd like the random one better. I love the surprise of finding a sweet fabric in a quilt, not having it grouped, but in looking at the overall affect I have to say I really like the themed one. The groupings give a loose movement to the quilt that the random design lacks. Can't wait to see what you pick.