26 November 2010

Cranberry-Chocolate Christmas Muffins


Cranberry Christmas Muffins


These are the bran muffins of my youth with a yummy seasonal modification. My Mom usually made them with pieces of date in the middle. My version has cranberries and chocolate chips. Something about cranberries and chocolate just says "Christmas" to me, even though it's still a month away... well, at least here in Holland I have the excuse that they celebrate the tradition of Sinterklaas on December 5.

Cranberry-Chocolate Christmas Muffins

Makes about 24 muffins.

In a medium pot, cover the fresh cranberries with water and then simmer just until the skins pop. I used a whole bag (340g) of cranberries for one batch. Drain and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together:
  • 2 cups each bran, whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup each wheat germ, sugar, chocolate chips
  • 1 Tbsp each cinnamon, baking powder
  • 2 tsp salt

Then make a well in the middle and pour in the wet ingredients:
  • 1 cup oil (apparently my Mom now uses buttermilk instead, but I've not tried it)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 eggs (or 2 plus other dairy like yogourt, sour cream, etc)
  • 2 tsp vanilla (totally optional)

As you're mixing it together, add some molasses to taste -- I usually do a big "glurb" (super accurate technical baking term there!). Once it's mostly mixed, add the cranberries and carefully mix them in.

Bake at 375°F for 35-40 mins in a conventional oven or, 180°C for 25 mins in a (small) convection oven. Remove from the pan immediately to cool. These muffins freeze well.


Holiday Muffins
Photographs and artwork by Allison Gryski. © All rights reserved.

1 comments:

Susan M, Fibre Arts said... Best Blogger Tips

Pretty! And I will try this version, soon