29 January 2011

Amsterdam Fabric Stash


Stack of Amsterdam Fabrics


I tend to buy fabric I love when I see it, but because I don't want to be spendthrift, usually only a quarter to half a metre at a time (unless I have a specific project in mind). Thus, I have a stash of many small bits of fabric. It's perfect for things like a patchwork quilt, pillow or bunting. It's also great for fun fabric cubes.


A delightful sight


When I bought my sewing machine, I immediately indulged in a little fabric, but typically, I mostly bought more blue fabrics. My stash was skimpy for, well, pretty much everything but blue and I wanted to make cubes of different colours. I used mostly stuff in my stash, but I also bought a few more new bits at the Albert Cuyp Market and the Lapjesmarkt. The Quiltlapjes stall that I usually frequent at the Albert Cuyp market was mysteriously missing that Friday, so instead, I shopped at De Boerenbonthal, a fabric store opposite Jan, the notions store.


Dotted Fabrics


They had a big selection of polkadot fabrics in one of the side rooms. I love how prevalent dots are in the Netherlands as a pattern (on fabric, but also housewares). They did also have some flannel (which I was looking for the other day), but a grand total of just five patterns and none that I found the least bit compelling.


Stacks of Amsterdam Fabrics


On Monday, I returned to the cotton stall in the Lapjesmarkt, and had fun picking out some more new things to expand my stash's colour range. Here is all the fabric I've bought since moving to Amsterdam a little over a year ago:


Amsterdam Fabric Stash


Photographs and artwork by Allison Gryski. © All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Barbara Prime said... Best Blogger Tips

You have so many pretty fabrics to choose from! I used to have great luck finding fabric when I lived a few blocks from a good thrift store, but I've used most of that in the last 2 years. Now I have to shop on-line, which isn't nearly as much fun.

Allison said... Best Blogger Tips

@Barbara Prime I've always found paying for shipping and not being able to see stuff in person takes some of the fun out of buying fabric online. Also, you can't take it home and make something the same day! Montreal has lots of fabric shops, though not all have a lot of good cotton selection and admittedly, the ones I know aren't really in your neighbourhood.