11 January 2011

Monday Morning Amsterdam Fabric Market


Pretty cottons at the fabric market


On Monday mornings in Amsterdam, there's a fabric and clothing market called the Lapjesmarkt. It runs along Westerstraat and joins up with the Noordermarkt, where there is a little more fabric, some fleamarket booths, and lots of used clothing. At the Lapjesmarkt, there seems to be just about every type of fabric. I saw suiting, fleece, leather, silky and fancy stuff, upholstery/drapery fabrics, linens, and my favourite booth (pictured above) which was filled with tantalizingly fun cottons. There's also several stalls that sell all sorts of fancy trims.

Of course, there did not seem to be anyone selling what I was looking for: flannel. I'll be checking out the fabric stalls and shops in the Albert Cuyp market just in case, but given the array of fabric at the Lapjesmarkt, I'm doubtful whether I'll find any. If anyone knows where to find cute flannel prints (for making cozy baby stuff) in Amsterdam, let me know!

Photographs and artwork by Allison Gryski. © All rights reserved.

10 comments:

Barbara Prime said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you have a little piece of flannel, or something made from it, that you can show the sellers in the stalls? Maybe they have something similar, like brushed cotton.

Allison said... Best Blogger Tips

Barbara - I asked at the cotton stall, since flannel is a type of cotton. They do know what flannel is, they just didn't have it!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that you can't find flannel.

That market does look fun to browse around.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I am jealous of your fabric market! If you can't find flannel in Amsterdam, you might try ordering from thousandsofbolts.com I have bought quite a bit of fabric from them, the quality is good and they are quite inexpensive, which makes the added international shipping costs not too bad.

Just-Do said... Best Blogger Tips

Voor flannel kijk ik altijd bij Jan Sikkes, maar ik geloof niet dat die in Amsterdam zit. Ben benieuwd wat je ermee wil gaan doen.

Crafty Mama said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know any shops in Amsterdam but I do know you can buy flannel at the travelling market called 'Stoffenspektakel' www.stoffenspektakel.nl and you can try online at places like www.stoffenkraam.nl

Victoria said... Best Blogger Tips

What a fabulous market- Love the lines of fabrics, so fresh and pretty!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Oooooh! I wish I could go back to that market! That's the same stall where I bought all my fabric... Good luck with the flannel hunt.

katili said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh man, why oh why wasn't I in Amsterdam on a Monday?! I am totally jealous :)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, my I wish we had this in Germany! *drool* For that matter we didn't have that back home in Texas.
Lovely, my plans for Amsterdam have just changed. LOL
Thank you for this!
Are you on Swap-bot.com?